Tuesday 14 February 2012

Kakata - Farm Builders and it's a good plan!

> Today we went to farm builders, Don's favorite part of his company. Farm Builders works with the Liberians to get their farms back up and running. They can do this in several capacities (restart their farm, side by side relationship or total farm management). Brian explained this to us. We saw "clone" trees and learned about grafting trees from the clones to ensure the qualities of the hybrid get integrated into the new trees.
>
> We went to "Bills" rubber plant and I watched rubber being made. It stunk, but was very fascinating. Who knew? They were filling containers to ship to the US.
>
> Don explained how to "tap" a rubber tree every second day and that the tappers tap 520 trees per day.
>
> We also went to Bills house for lunch. Bill is a very wealthy Liberian who is well connected and has a beautiful rubber plantation as well as the rubber factory. He works with and supports BRE.
>
> My favorite part of the day was when we pulled of the road and met some locals and had them describe how to make charcoal. They showed us step by step and I took many pictures. They were surrounded by children taking care of children. Bare foot and dirty. I asked a lady if I could take her picture and that of her baby, she allowed me to but then announced that she was hungry and had no food for baby. Sad. We gave them all the baby bananas that we had. So far- one of my favorite pics (her baby strapped to her back - with a fly on his forehead). I wish I could upload them but they are on my good camera. Apple should get on this - an opening for USB or data card on iphones, so data can be transferred. Anyhow, I digress.
>
> Tomorrow, I suspect will be my favorite day- 2 hr drive to Buchanan to the orphanage, a high school and to visit the port that Don cleared here. Perhaps a ride on a tug boat.
>
> Don is very well connected and very well respected. It is apparent. All the Liberians faces light up when they see him " hi boss". Also, his ex pat employees really respect him and speak highly of his ability to persuade anyone to become passionate about a cause. He has convinced many to join BRE.
>
> Wyatt was interested in the fact that Don is the "Big Boss". Dons lesson to Wy - "just because you are the boss doesn't mean you have to be bossy".
>
> Finally, we met a 9 yr old who was an American and moved to Liberia in Aug. She said school was different here because the teachers " beat the kids with sticks and that even today one teacher broke a ruler in to many pieces from hitting a student" for not listening. Her plan was to never get into trouble. It's a good plan.
>
> Dianne,
> Sent from my SMASHED iPhone
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment